This week was incredibly busy, but entirely fun filled as we had family and friends visit us. We did waterparks, the beaches, pools, boating, crabbing, made homemade ice cream sandwiches, ate sushi, played Wii World Tour and just had a fabulous summer vacation. It actually seemed like this past week was my summer vacation.
With all the fun happening there were plenty of lessons to still be learned.
- It takes about 5 days for two kids to become thoroughly exhausted and unable to function when their days are spent with grandparents, uncles, and friends. When they hit this point it is time for a day at home in pj's with absolutely nothing to do in order to save everybodys sanity!
- After spending 8 hours on the water crabbing and coming home with 7 crabs, I have came to the realization that every penny I pay for steamed crabs is worth it. Thank goodness the pizza man came to our rescue. Another lesson learned...I love that pizza delivery man.
- The moment my kids feet touch sand or water the nutrients are sucked right out of them leaving them hungry or starving if you ask them. Whenever we head to the beach I always have a cooler packed and ready to go, but it doesn't matter if we arrive 20 minutes after they finished breakfast they will inevitably be asking to get something out of it the minute we get settled in.
- While making homemade ice cream is a great treat for the whole family, making multiple quarts causing increased consumption of it is definitely not a good thing...so says my scale. Guess who will be back to counting points when school is back in session?
- Life is all about the people you spend it with. There is nothing better than being able to just relax and have fun with family and friends. Smiles, laughter, good conversation...nothing beats it.
- Summer vacation is entirely too short. Where did it go??
Perhaps the most important thing I learned this week is that it is time for me to ease up on blogging and go back to my blogging roots. I shared this lesson in a recent post, Rewind to Simpler Times.
Visit Musings of a Housewife to find out what everybody else learned this week.
I call it the S syndrome. Saltwater + Sand = STARVING. My kids are the exact same way. But I still think the beach is totally and completely worth the hunger (and begging!)!ReplyDelete
WOW, you have been busy fitting it all in before you go back to school! Glad to hear you are taking advantage of this heat ... hard to believe just how beautiful this summer has been!! The kids are continuing with swimming for 2 more weeks (they qualified for regional championships in Maryland) then our "family vacation" to Sea Colony where my parents babysit while hubbie AND I fill in at a couple of local businesses for the end of the season - long standing tradition!! I guess this should have been an email ... finally have some semblance of a new blog up at blogger - firstname.lastname@example.org ... can't figure out how to import from wordpress to blogger, but hey, starting fresh is always fun, right?!?! Have a great day!ReplyDelete
Wow - you DID learn a lot this week! Hilarious about the kids wanting to eat as soon as you get to the beach. I think I used to do the same thing! Snacks must taste better at the beach. Then again, I think everything is better at the beach!ReplyDelete
Love it! Sounds like you had a great week! What is it about sand, sun, and water, that makes kids STARVE? My kids do it too, and I remember doing it as a kid myself.ReplyDelete
So true on so many levels. I completely agree that life is who you spend it with! Too bad my crazy dogs live here and I'm with them a majority of the time. Oh, and my family, too... yes, them, too, so I guess it evens out.ReplyDelete
Our kids (and my dh) are just the same - we also bring lots with us - saves us a fortune they would want to spend at the ice cream van.ReplyDelete
Oh, we eat sooooo much at the beach. It's crazy. But I totally love it! Would love some homemade ice cream. We have got to try that this year. Maybe I will get hubby an ice cream maker for his bday. hummmReplyDelete
You learned a lot of great stuff!! Lots of fun summer activities and yes, it is too short!ReplyDelete
Did you make enough ice cream sandwiches for all of us? Hmmm...?ReplyDelete
Summer vacation is DEFINITELY too short. And I agree about that pizza deliveryman. :-) He RAWKS!ReplyDelete
I like when you said this: "Life is all about the people you spend it with."ReplyDelete
That is 100% true. :)