Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Day From That Other Place

Yesterday a Nor'Easter decided to blow its way into Southern Delaware which resulted in flooding roads and schools dismissing early...YEAH! (I have some pictures on my phone and as soon as I figure out how the heck to get them out of there I will share the visual!). The kids and I happily made our way home early going through some water, nothing too bad, and ended up home safe and sound. We had a nice relaxing night and I even cooked dinner, which means I must have really been in a happy mood. The kids went to bed, I did some partying, and then was off to bed myself with thoughts of school being delayed dancing in my head!

Skip forward a few hours to my alarm clock going off and the news reporting that the two roads I take to school are closed due to flooding. There are trees down, power outages, and people still in shelters after being evacuated the day yesterday. My mind starts racing...Oh those poor people...YES, school will be delayed (I know, I'm shallow like that). So I continue to listen and hear that school is delayed for my home district (so maybe not my most brilliant move teaching two districts away from my own) and the next one north (the one I go through to get to my district). I wait...wait...wait some more and nothing about my school district. I begin to think that something must have went wrong and the station was just not notified and the phone alert system from my district must not be working, so I get on the State of Delaware school closure website and guess what...NO DELAY! What the heck??!! So by this time it is about 45 minutes later than I usually get up, the roads I take to work are closed so I will have to go a long way around, and worst of all I only have one personal day left and need to use it for my brother's graduation. T.E.R.R.I.F.I.C. I gave in and went to take my shower and get ready, of course stomping, grumbling, and whining the whole time. I was resigned to the fact I would be late and figured my student teacher could handle class until I got there. I wanted to call my boss and tell her that I would be late because ROADS ARE CLOSED, TREES ARE DOWN, and the sane school districts are delayed, but I refrained. Since we were already running late, Dyl and I decided to do Dunkin Donuts for breakfast and seeing how the morning was going already, I figured I could treat myself to a cup of sugar with a bit of coffee to get me through the day.

Surprisingly, the back way did not take me quite as long as I thought and I ended up making it to work not just on time, but early! However, I was still a bit ticked that I was there in the first place. The day then started off okay for the first hour that is, when I discovered that a parent has requested a meeting with my principal and the elementary director of my district over an inappropriate writing piece that one of my students decided to complete. Due to confidentiality issues I'm not even going to go here, but let's just say that my principal now has a file full of emails and other documentation to cover my butt. Yes, I made a mistake, but very minor and at least I can recognize when something is my fault and not push it off on somebody else to make excuses. I'm just saying! I did make it through the school day, but really it was just beginning.

Here is what happened next:
2:30 student dismissal
2:30-3:15 Led a hospitality meeting (hospitality is a group at school in charge of making the staff happy. Today's meeting consisted of me sharing our end of the school year party plans, putting together teacher/para of the year baskets, organizing an Inservice breakfast, planning a NY bus trip, and some other things)
3:15 - 3:45 Met with my student teacher to discuss her lesson plans for the remainder of the week and student issues.
3:45 - 4:00 Travel to our sister elementary school
4:00 - 5:00 Attend an advisory board meeting for the Professional Development School that is housed within our district. This is the school my student teachers attend.
5:00 - 5:30 Meet with the coordinator of the School to discuss my student teacher for the fall.
5:30 - 6:00 I needed a break so since I was at the school where one of my best friends is a Principal and I saw her truck was there, I begged her to let me in so we could chat. We talked for a bit and then she had to go to a PTO meeting.
6:00 - 6:15 Travel back to my school
6:15 - 6:30 Reply to some school emails, type the minutes from the hospitality meeting, and write tomorrow's agenda on the board.
6:30 - 7:45 Attend PTO meeting since I am the teacher representative
7:45- 8:30 Drive home (the roads were finally opened!)
8:30 - 9:30 Hug kids, check homework, eat an ice cream for dinner (didn't have lunch or dinner), package up Ebay stuff, read a story to Zoe, package more Ebay and then crash in bed
9:30 - Relax and do a bit of blogging.

Yeah, it was one of those days and boy am I glad that I get to start all over tomorrow with a blank slate...and I won't be waiting for that delay either!!


  1. Don't you just hate days that start out in a rush. I spend the whole day feeling like I have been shot out of a cannon if the morning doesn't go well.

    I love your blog -- read it whenever I can. I am a first time commenter who thought I should stop lurking and say "hi". Hi!

  2. Sounds like that was quite a day! We had that awful rain here in VA - flooded our backyard but not our house. I guess the only good thing about making it threw that day is if you hadn't - there would have been a lot of stuff to reschedule!

    Do you sell a lot of stuff via ebay? I've always wanted to try that.

  3. Good grief! Could your day get any crazier?? I have had some parent/teacher issues lately that have really gotten me down. Hard not to take them personally eh? Luckily neither of us has many days left of this school year!Yahoo!!

  4. What a day! Hope today went better


Go ahead...tell me like it is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...